GitHub Desktop is a popular graphical user interface (GUI) for working with Git and GitHub, and it is available for Windows and macOS. However, it is not officially available for Linux, including Ubuntu 20.04.
However, there are alternatives that you can use to have a similar experience as GitHub Desktop on Ubuntu 20.04. Some popular options include:
- GitKraken: A cross-platform Git client that provides a GUI for working with Git and GitHub. It is available for Windows, Mac, and Linux.
- SmartGit: A Git client with a GUI that is designed for advanced users. It is available for Windows, Mac, and Linux.
- Gitg: This is a Git client that is built specifically for Linux and it is available as a package in most Linux distributions.
- Git Cola: A simple, yet powerful Git client that is built for Linux and it is available as a package in most Linux distributions.
These are just some of the popular options available for Ubuntu 20.04, there are other clients available as well. It’s important to note that all these clients are third-party software and not officially endorsed by GitHub. It’s advisable to check the client’s website for the most up-to-date information and instructions.
To install GitKraken on Ubuntu 20.04 you can follow the next steps:
- Download the deb package from the GitKraken website: https://www.gitkraken.com/download/linux-deb
- Open the terminal and navigate to the directory where the package was downloaded
- Install the package with the command:
sudo dpkg -i gitkraken-amd64.deb
- Once the installation is done you should be able to find GitKraken in your applications menu.
It’s important to note that this instructions are subject to change, and the latest version of GitKraken may have different installation steps, you should check the GitKraken website