GitHub Desktop is a desktop client for Git and GitHub, it’s a free and open-source tool that allows developers to manage their Git repositories and collaborate on code using a graphical user interface (GUI). It’s available for Windows and macOS.
With GitHub Desktop, you can easily:
- Clone repositories from GitHub and other sources
- Create and manage branches
- Commit and push changes to your code
- View the history of your commits and changes
- Resolve conflicts and merge branches
- View and manage pull requests
- Synchronize your work with remote repositories
Additionally, GitHub Desktop also provides a built-in text editor that allows you to make changes to your code directly from the application. This can be useful for making quick changes or fixes to your code without needing to switch to a separate text editor or Integrated Development Environment (IDE).
GitHub Desktop also provides integration with the GitHub web platform, this allows you to view and manage pull requests, issues and other features directly from the application.
It’s a great tool for developers who are new to Git and GitHub, as it provides a simple and user-friendly interface for managing Git repositories, and it’s also useful for experienced developers who want to streamline their workflow and avoid using command-line interface.